The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and Instruction, No. 579 by Various


Main
- books.jibble.org



My Books
- IRC Hacks

Misc. Articles
- Meaning of Jibble
- M4 Su Doku
- Computer Scrapbooking
- Setting up Java
- Bootable Java
- Cookies in Java
- Dynamic Graphs
- Social Shakespeare

External Links
- Paul Mutton
- Jibble Photo Gallery
- Jibble Forums
- Google Landmarks
- Jibble Shop
- Free Books
- Intershot Ltd

books.jibble.org

Next Page

Page 0

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and
Instruction, No. 579, by Various

This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net


Title: The Mirror of Literature, Amusement, and Instruction, No. 579
Volume 20, No. 579, December 8, 1832

Author: Various

Release Date: April 4, 2005 [EBook #15536]

Language: English

Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1

*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK THE MIRROR OF LITERATURE ***




Produced by Jonathan Ingram, David Garcia and the Online
Distributed Proofreading Team.







* * * * *

THE MIRROR OF LITERATURE, AMUSEMENT, AND INSTRUCTION.

VOL. XX, No. 579.] SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8, 1832. [PRICE 2d.

* * * * *

[Illustration: ANTWERP.]




ANTWERP.


This Engraving may prove a welcome pictorial accompaniment to a score
of plans of "the seat of war," in illustration of the leading topic of
the day. The view may be relied on for accuracy; it being a transfer of
the engraving in "Select Views of the Principal Cities of Europe, from
Original Paintings, by Lieutenant Colonel Batty, F.R.S.[1]" We have so
recently described the city, that our present notice must be confined
to a brief outline.

Antwerp, one of the chief cities of the Netherlands, is situated on the
river Scheldt, 22 miles north of Brussels, and 65 south of Amsterdam:

writers, _Antverpia_, or _Andoverpum_; by the Germans, _Antorf_; by
the Spanish, _Anveres_; and by the French, _Anvers_.[2] The city is of
great antiquity, and is supposed by some to have existed before the time

1201; by John, the third, in 1314; and by the Emperor Charles V. in
1543: it has always been a place of commercial importance, and about
twenty years after the last mentioned date, the trade is concluded to
have been at its greatest height; the number of inhabitants was then
computed at 200,000. A few years subsequently, Antwerp suffered much in
the infamous war against religious freedom, projected by the detestable
Philip II. (son of Charles V.) and executed by the sanguinary Duke
of Alva, whose cruelty has scarcely a parallel in history. In this
merciless crusade, Alva boasted that he had consigned 18,000 persons
to the executioner; and with vanity as disgusting as his cruelty, he
placed a statue of himself in Antwerp, in which he was figured trampling
on the necks of two statues, representing the two estates of the Low
Countries. Before the termination of the war, not less than 600 houses
in the city were burnt, and 6 or 7,000 of the inhabitants killed or
drowned. Antwerp was retaken and repaired by the Prince of Parma, in
1585. It has since that time been captured and re-captured so frequently
as to render its decreasing prosperity a sad lesson, if such proof were
wanting, of the baleful scourge of war. The reader need scarcely be
reminded that the last and severest blow to the prosperity of Antwerp
was occasioned by the overthrow of Buonaparte, when, by the treaty of
peace signed in 1814, her naval establishment was utterly destroyed.[3]
The population has dwindled to little more than one-fourth of the
original number, its present number scarcely exceeding 60,000.

Next Page


Books | Photos | Paul Mutton | Sun 20th Aug 2017, 13:36